Updated: Jan 5, 2019
1. Brush – It’s always a good idea to brush your pool down weekly. Doing so can prevent algae growth and other buildup on the walls and floor of your pool.
2. Vacuum – Vacuuming weekly helps keep debris out of your pool. This step is especially helpful if you are surrounded by trees where leaves might find their way into your water. Vacuuming can be done with an automatic or manual vacuum, both of which you can find in our store!
3. Clean Filter –After you backwash, you should clean your pool’s filter. If you have a sand filter, backwash for 1-2 minutes, or until the sight glass goes clear. Then, rinse for at least 30 seconds. This practice should be done weekly for sand filters. If you have cartridge filters, they need to be taken out and cleaned every 3-4 weeks. You can do this using Filter fresh or Filter Cleanse.
4. Chlorine Tablets – Via a chlorinator or a floater, you should be adding chlorine tablets to your pool once a week. You should add one 3-inch tablet per 10,000 gallons of water in your pool per week.
5. Liquid Chlorine a.k.a. Shock or T.K.O. – You don’t want to rely on chlorine tablets alone to keep your water sparkling. You should also add liquid or powder chlorine to your pool on a weekly basis. We recommend adding one gallon of 12.5% chlorine OR one pound of T.K.O. per 10,000 gallons of water to raise your chlorine level 1 p.p.m. You may need to add more or less chlorine based on your water test results. At Angie’s, we recommend getting your pool water tested once a week.
6. Algimycin 2000/Algae X – These are your algae preventers. Algimycin 2000 is for in-ground pools and Algae-X is for above-ground pools. Adding an algae preventative weekly helps your pool from turning green, especially during those weeks when it’s 90 degrees and above. Ask one of our retail employees how much algae preventative to add weekly for your size pool!
7. Sequa-sol – This is your metal and stain control. Sequa-sol helps copper and iron from building up on your walls and in your pool’s plumbing, extending the life of your equipment. Ask one of our retail employees how much to add weekly for your size pool!
7. Seaklear Chitosan Clarifier – This clarifier is an all-natural clarifier made up of seashells. Seaklear helps bind up smaller particles in your pool water and move them towards the skimmer, leaving your water absolutely radiant!